Saturday 3 January 2009

Happy new year

Ok I'm a bit late. S0 2009 is here, and 2008 condemned to the annals of history- all in all a good year, Emily has grown in every way from a cute baby to a lovely little girl, with her own character, which is 99% lovely and 1% minxy which is definitely a trait from both parents. During the year we have watched Emily's vocabulary increase exponentially which means I now really have to watch my own use of language.

Other highlights- the new kitchen- phew blood sweet tears and diminished bank balances later we have done it -all except the bizarre under counter lights. Also seeing some of our mates again including a lovely couple of nights out in Sheffield in November, but also seeing Dok, Jane, Brett, Cath and Emma (well I did- and we must get both family's together soon!) and the Bouchers in September.

Went to a few great gigs last year, in no particular order My Bloody Valentine (at the fabulous Roundhouse), Fields of The Nephilim, Reverend Horton Heat, Glasvegas, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, Hayseed Dixie to name a few. Looking forward to Eagles of Death Metal later this year and possibly the Jesus Lizard, I wonder what other reunions will occur in 2009? I'd like another PWEI one, or a Gaye Bikers on Acid reunion would be good if they played the album Stewed to the gills.

2008 saw Rotherham united leave Millmoor their ground since the 1920s I think , due to the alleged greed of the land owners and the rent they wanted for the ground. The club are now playing at Don Valley stadium in SHEFFIELD which isn't right both in terms of location and format of the ground which is too big and has a running track separating the pitch from fans removing the intimacy enjoyed at Millmoor. Hopefully the town council will now get its finger out and build the stadium its promised for years!

Work for both cath and I was tough, Cath's due to organisation changes (I'll say no more!) and mine due to a change in my focus and some increased responsibility which was hard to grasp given the specific projects time lines. I'm hoping I've picked up a lot of new skills and am better equipped for 2009.

So for 2009 whats to look forward to- well Emily is 2 next week! its the year of Cath and I's 10th Wedding anniversary - doesn't feel like 10 years but when you look back at things that have happened (Emily, house buying, ending Dissolution etc) the timeline unfolds a little.

I think as a family one of the key events was the death of Cath's grandma, "Mama" or "Daisy" as she was known . I can only comment on my thoughts which obviously are not a fraction of Caths, but I found it a time of mixed blessings. Since meeting Cath we watched the decline of a formidable force of nature -the bedrock of Caths family. Towards the end Mama was in a home to relieve the pressure on Caths Mum, Uncle and cousin Jack. It was never nice visiting her there compared to her lovely welcoming terrace house, and seeing the fading of Mamas memory's was still more saddening. The funeral however was a touching affair, I was honoured to have been asked to read at the service, and see the bizarre priest in action (some of his comments were incredibly odd). Its the first family funeral I have attended as an adult, having missed the funeral of my Grandparents on my Dads side during my teens (I regret this now). It did have some plus's it was nice to see the family together, and I hope it allows Marion and Tom to start and enjoy their retirement and maybe get away to Ireland, Italy or wherever this year without any worries.

Moving on I'm sure I've missed stuff but here's hoping in 2009, that Cath and I have better years at work, Emily carries on to being the fabulous little person she is, and that family and friends all have a good year.

Oh and my new years resolution- A little wine influenced but I have resolved to consider the potential and possibilities of hats..........

No comments:

Post a Comment